Happy New Year my dears!
I hope you all had a fantastic Holiday break and time off. I know I did! Shawn and I managed to get away for a short trip to Old Montreal (more on that tomorrow), and we got to spend some much-needed time with family and friends.
2016 was wrought with change, but it was good. Last year laid the foundation for a big career change for me. I went from penning articles all day for Design*Sponge, and working as a freelance designer and illustrator, to having a TV camera on me as I blab on, design spaces, and dance awkwardly. It’s been quite the shift, and at times it felt strange to abandon the work I had established and have to say no to projects, but I trusted my heart, and my heart said “jump and take that chance.” After all, I wasn’t working that hard for nothing. I did envision that my freelance odd-jobs would eventually lead to something bigger. I certainly didn’t think that that was it. I just didn’t know what it was.
But I digress.
Where 2016 was a year of changes, I’m feel like in 2017, I’ll get to witness and enjoy the fruits of those changes. I’m happy and hopeful that this year is going to be better than ever and I can’t wait to share everything I’ve been working on. But until then, I thought I’d share some more personal goals, changes I’m making, and things I’ve stumbled across in my time off that I’m digging. I hope you too have a great year! x, S
- I can’t get enough of these mismatched gold-plated earrings. They’re on sale too!
- The first thing I do every morning is prepare loose-leaf tea. Now that I don’t drink coffee, it’s not just a beverage swap, but it’s become more of a fragrant and meditative ritual to start my day than anything. I so value that quiet hour to myself in the morning while I prepare and enjoy my pot. My go-to is a jasmine-scented green tea, and lately I’ve learned more about the process that goes into making this tea which has furthered my enjoyment of it. I was recently gifted with Sloane Tea’s Jasmine Mist, and I absolutely love it.
- Wish me luck as I re-jig my gorgeous monstera deliciosa today. It’s growing too wide and not tall, so I’m going to gently try to encourage a trellis system so it can grow up rather than out. (Photo via Escuyer)
- My fur-pup turned two yesterday! And now that she’s an official adult dog, Shawn started Piper an Instagram account. 😛
- I finally had some free time to look into wedding venues during the break. We’ve fallen for one in particular, but we have yet to confirm the details and book a date. I can’t wait! Once it’s booked, I’ll let you know where and what, but I want it al to myself until I get it in writing, haha. In the meanwhile, I’ve been browsing dresses and fell for the Aurora dress and the idea of a two piece like the Tulley top and Amora skirt combo (but maybe a bit too girlish for me).
- This moody grey-blue kitchen is a dream. I love all of the textures and materials. In fact I love the entire home.
- The Bay still has their Boxing Week sale on! So if you ever wanted Dwell’s Hans chair, a big leather sofa, new bed sheets, or even clothes, have a gander.
- West Elm also has sales, but I’m more-so eyeing their new arrivals, like this bar cabinet, these pillows, and this wood-framed sofa (which would look divine floating in a room).
- Food is more complicated than ever–and I’m still learning about how best I can eat–but for now, I’m completely gluten/dairy/soy-free, and trying to limit my sugar as much as possible. It’s not the easiest change to make, but luckily there are some great alternatives and communities. I’d recommend checking out Cotter Crunch, Angela Liddon, Pinch of Yum, and Elena’s Pantry I’ve also been recipe Pin-crazy. Anyone out there have more great accounts or people to follow? Please comment and let me know 🙂