I must have had the Cavolo Nero from Gusto 101 at least five times – and it never disappoints. If you’ve never eaten there, I urge you to go there & try it yourself first. Their food is to die for and their year-round rooftop patio and wine (on tap!) make it one of my favorite places to eat in Toronto.
This is my humble take on their genius and serves two – or one, if you’re me. The beautiful photo I adapted is from Food Junkie.
- 4 cups of chopped kale (massaged and washed)
- 4 T dried cranberries
- 4 T pine nuts or sunflower seeds, toasted
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 T honey
- 4 T Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- salt & pepper
- 1/4 c grated Pecorino or Parmesan cheese
- Crispy Serrano ham (swap in bacon, chicken or steak)
- More freshly grated Parmesan or Pecorino Cheese
- Lots of cracked black pepper
1) Combine the lemon juice, honey, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, cheese and s/p and mix well in a large non-metal bowl.
2) Add the chopped kale and toss to coat. Set it aside for 30 minutes or more to tenderize the kale, tossing here and there.
3) Add raisins, pine nuts, crispy Serrano ham and more grated Parmesan cheese to the dressed kale and toss well.
4) Divide the kale between two plates, garnish with extra cheese and crack some pepper on top. Eat & enjoy!
Other honorable mentions from Gusto 101 include their Polette Pizze & Malfalde ai Funghi. View their menus here.